Military Family Loses Everything in Fire; Operation Homefront of Washington Issues Call for Donations
At the Fort Lewis army post in Washington state, a military family whose husband and father is currently deployed to Iraq lost everything in a recent fire. The Washington state chapter of Operation Homefront has issued an urgent call for donations to help the family. Operation Homefront is the national nonprofit dedicated to providing emergency assistance and morale assistance to deployed troops, their families, and our nation's wounded warriors.
"The fire broke out on a recent, warm Sunday morning, while the mother and her four children were enjoying the sunshine and playing at the local park," said John McDonagh, president of the Washington chapter of Operation Homefront. "They headed home only to find their house in flames from an electrical short. The house quickly burned to the ground, but not before completely destroying the family's furniture, appliances, clothing and possessions."
Now Operation Homefront, joining with other area charities, is asking area businesses and residents to aid the family. Among the items needed are:
- Clothing and toys suitable for 12- and 10-year-old boys and 9- and 6-year-old girls. Especially needed are jackets, sweaters, shirts, pants, dresses and shoes.
- Kitchen appliances and tools, including a microwave and coffeemaker, pots and pans, knives and other cooking utensils, and dishes and silverware. The family also needs a washer and dryer.
- Bedding, including sheets, pillows and comforters; bath and kitchen towels.
- Furniture including four twin beds, three dressers, a couch, a dining table and chairs, desk and bookcases.
- Bicycles and skateboards, toys and games, and a toybox.
- Nonperishable foods as well as gift cards to local chain grocery stores.
- A television and stand, stereo, and other audio-video appliances including game players with discs; furniture to hold these items; and clock radios.
- Cash donations in the form of checks made payable to Operation Homefront and mailed to Operation Homefront at 8930 Fourwinds Drive, Suite 340, San Antonio, TX 78239. Please indicate that your donation supports the Washington chapter.
To help this military family in need or to learn more about Operation Homefront, visit www.operationhomefront.net, or call or write Washington chapter president John McDonagh at:
P.O. Box 27347
Seattle, WA 18165
Office: (206) 300-0893
Toll free: (800) 779-5898
Toll-free fax: (866) 294-2968
|Your name: *|
|Your email: *|
|Recepient's email: *|
|Enter code: *|