Beijing 2008  2010 World Cup  FIFA  UEFA  Premier League  FA Cup  NBA  FIBA  The Home of Cricket  Twenty20  Tennis Magazine  Wimbledon  PGA Tour  LPGA Tour

IRB  RBS 6 Nations Rugby  NRL  RFU  Nascar  Formula 1  F1 Live  A1GP  Dakar  MotorGP  IBF-USBA  WBA  WWE  Muay Thai  World Snooker Association

NFL  AFL  NCAA  Tour de France  USA Crits  Futsal Planet  FIVB  Kentucky Derby  NHL  FIH   Freestyle BMX  MotoX Magazine  EXPN  Planet X  IMscouting


Hong Kong quits baseball event after Caracas shooting

Daniel Wallis Reuters India 15.08.2010 17:25
Hong Kong women's baseball player Cheuk Woon Yee Sinny (R) leaves a hotel in Caracas August 15, 2010.

Hong Kong women's baseball player Cheuk Woon Yee Sinny (R) leaves a hotel in Caracas August 15, 2010.


Hong Kong pulled out of the Women's Baseball World Cup in Venezuela on Saturday after one of its players was shot in the leg during a game in Caracas.



The player, identified as Cheuk Woon Yee Sinny, was hit in the lower left calf as she took the field to play third base during a game against the Netherlands on Friday in a stadium at a military base in Caracas.

Venezuelan officials said the player was not seriously hurt and was released on Saturday after spending the night at the base hospital.

Vice President Elias Jaua said she had been struck by "an object similar to a stray bullet" during the game on the second day of the tournament.

"The delegation from Hong Kong, for the peace of mind of its team, has asked to return to their country. The rest of the countries will continue with the championship," Sports Minister Hector Rodriguez told reporters.

Games were suspended after the incident, and officials in the South American country issued a revised schedule for the Cup on Saturday involving the 10 remaining teams.

"We deeply regret the exit of Hong Kong and the decision they have taken to withdraw, but we respect it ... and we hope that they can take part in forthcoming events," Rodriguez said.


Source